Our comprehensive curriculum uses realistic role-plays and lively discussions so interpreters develop the skills and knowledge base they need to deliver accurate and complete interpretation in health care settings. Through this training, participants will have the opportunity to work on extensive medical vocabulary with a language-specific coach (as long as there is a coach available for a particular language).
This training is taught by our own highly experienced trainers who take pride in delivering a quality educational program. The course registration fee is $100 and the course tuition* is $800. Please see our Training page for frequently asked questions.
*At this time, Language Bank is not accepting financial aid for course tuition.
This is a 60-hour program and attendance to all online classes is mandatory.
Key Medical Interpretation Training Topics:
- Laws and regulations for using professional medical interpreters (ADA, Title IV.)
- Active listening
- Sight translation skills
- Consecutive interpreting skills
- Common interpreting errors
- Elements of communication, shadowing, and reflection of emotion
- NHIHC Code of Ethics
- IMIA Standards of Practice
- Culture in medical setting/techniques for culture brokering
- Body systems, medical diagnosis, and procedures
- Comprehensive medical terminology in English and target language
- Roots, prefixes, and suffixes used in medical terminology
- Basic skills on note-taking
- Language-specific coaches
- Interpreter roles and responsibilities
- Interpreting techniques